Want to have a social life this holiday season while watching your weight? Here are some easy tips to keep your waistline in check and still enjoy the dolce vita. I call this list, TEN WAYS TO ENJOY A PARTY AND NOT REGRET IT IN THE MORNING!
1. Don’t be a two-fisted eater. Slow down, chew, talk, and keep one hand free to wave at your friends across the room!
2. Drink smart. If you want to drink alcohol, drink one glass of sparkling water between imbibing in the fun stuff! This will fill you up and slow down your intake of alcohol (and empty calories).
3. NEVER go to a party famished. There are two reasons for this: there may not be any (even moderately) healthy fare offered, and arriving starved will undoubtedly lead to binge eating!
4. No loitering allowed! Back away from the buffet after you have filled a plate, and go to the other side of the room to mix and mingle. Hang out under the mistletoe, NOT at the buffet table!
5. Size matters! Instead of using the entrée size plate, grab an appetizer plate and fill ‘er up. Our eyes can trick our tummies into believing that we are getting more when our plate looks full!
6. Put “order” into your plan. Fill up on raw veggies and salads before you enjoy the heavier foods that pack more calories per morsel.
7. Workout the day of the party. If you go to a party feeling gorgeous, fit, and at the top of your game, you won’t want to ruin it by over-indulging. You will be too busy fending off flirtatious suitors!
8. Wear an outfit with a belt or fitted waistband. It is easier to overeat when you wear your stretchy pants, so flaunt your form and suck in your gut, honey!
9. Variety may be the spice of life, but it will squash your good intentions! The more variety you offer your taste buds, the more you will want to eat. Decide which indulgences you wish to enjoy and limit yourself to those few.
10. No talking with your mouth full! Mama was right, but for a different reason: when you are eating a treat, be aware of the tastes, smells, and sensations of the food. If you enjoy each mouthful, you will not need as many bites to feel satiated. Chat and laugh between delicacies! Focus on what you are doing while you are eating, and you will not find yourself mindlessly scarfing plates of food that you don’t even remember tasting.
Live with Simplicity,